The University of the Philippines will celebrate its 100th founding anniversary two years from now (Year 2008). As part of the 100th year celebration, this website will try to come up with a list of UP graduates from Pila, Laguna. Below is the list of first 9 graduates of the University of the Philippines from Pila, Laguna.
1. Petronio Z. Alava, Bachelor of Arts, 1919
2. Santiago F. Fernandez. Bachelor of Arts, 1920, B.S.E, 1924
3. Aurora Dimaculangan, Bachelor of Arts, 1920
4. Felix N. Maceda, B. Agri, 1921
5. Isabel C. Purificacion, H.S.T.C, 1922 (High School Teacher Certificate)
6. Agapito Evangelista Buenaventura, B. Agri, 1922
7. Nicomedes Carillo Flores, Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, 1927
8. Aurora A. Guysayko, Doctor of Dental Surgery, 1928
9. Jaime O. Rivera, University High School, 1928
Petronio Z. Alava is the first UP graduate from Pila, Laguna. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1919 and studied medicine at the University of Missouri. Dr. Alava became the youngest resident surgeon in the United States in 1923. Download 1924 article of The Philippine Republic for details.
Santiago F. Fernandez is the second graduate from Pila, Laguna and the first to earn two degrees. He latter became a teacher of the Laguna High School now Pedro Guevarra Memorial National High School.
Aurora Dimaculangan is the first female graduate of UP from Pila, Laguna.
Agapito E. Buenaventura became a teacher of the Catarman Agricultural School in Samar.
If you are a graduate of the University of the Philippines and from Pila or Victoria, Laguna please send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
and we will add your name to the list.